Top 10 Health Benefits of Chakrasana Wheel Pose
Take up the practice of distinct yoga asanas as you acknowledge the top health benefits of Chakrasana.
Chakrasana or the Wheel Pose is a backbend yoga posture from the Primary Series of Ashtanga Yoga. Several individuals feel intimidated to contort the body into a backbend, but the Chakrasana gives the practitioners multiple reasons to love and perform the wheel yoga posture with dedication.
The health benefits of wheel pose are innumerable. It is most favored for its ability to build flexibility in the spine, strengthen the back muscles, while also releasing the physical and mental tension in those who sit for longer duration in the chairs.
Let’s start with the steps of performing the Chakrasana and its modifications:
1. Begin the wheel pose in a lying position. Keep the legs unbent, feet together, and hands close to the body.
2. Now, place the palms near to the ears underneath the shoulders. The fingers will point towards to the shoulder blades and elbows should be shoulder-width apart.
3. Press the palms and feet strongly into the yoga mat.
4. Inhale, lift the hips up and above the ground. Keep the thighs and feet parallel to the ground.
5. Compress the shoulders against the back
6. Slowly straighten your arms, widen the shoulder blades, and gently hang the head down.
7. In the final wheel position, stay for 10-20 seconds.
Modifications and Props:
1. If the groins or armpits are stiff then they can restrict the movements. Support the hands and feet on yoga blocks to help yourself come into the full backbend Chakrasana.
2. Wrap a yoga strap around the thighs to keep them parallel to the floor.
3. Deepen the depth of the pose by walking the feet closer to your hands.
Contraindications and Cautions:
1. Do not practice the pose in moments when you experience headaches, diarrhea, and high or low blood pressure.
2. Avoid the performance of Chakrasana if you have carpal tunnel syndrome or a back injury.
Here’s the list of top 10 health benefits of wheel pose:
1. Stand Tall and Healthy: Due to the poor ways of sitting and as we age, the spine compresses. The wheel pose strengthens and lengthens the vertebrae which enhance the flexibility and suppleness of the spine. The increased space and elasticity in the spinal column helps you look taller and healthy.
2. Strengthens the Body Parts: During the performance of the chakrasana, your arms, wrists, legs, shoulders, and chest are strengthened. So, expect toned and smooth muscles through the practice of chakrasana.
3. Cures Asthma: In the wheel pose, the chest is lifted up that opens it and expands the lungs granting you the many health benefits of chakrasana, including a cured asthma. The opening of the rib cage and strengthening of the lungs enhance the oxygen supply in the body. Respiration improves manifold.
4. A Slimming Effect: As the body areas get a good stretch in the wheel pose, it helps the practitioners remove fat buildup from the oblique area. Therefore, include Chakrasana in your slimming workout routine.
5. Energize Holistically: Many avid yoga practitioners believe that the practice of wheel pose energizes a person physically and mentally by effectively counteracting depression, stress, and anxiety. The stimulation of the thyroid and pituitary glands in the posture helps control stress and makes you feel good overall.
6. Embrace Harmony: Chakrasana is believed to ignite all the seven chakras within the body. With the seven energy points activated, you can feel more in harmony with the self and balanced body processes.
7. Loosens the Hips: The pose releases tension from the hips and loosens the tightness in them, thereby increasing hip flexibility. Supple hips are of great importance to the health and well-being.
8. Reduces Osteoporosis: Build healthy and strong muscles with wheel pose. High bone mineral density diminishes the chances of developing osteoporosis and osteopenia to a greater extent. Healthy bones assist in healthy movements and protect organs from injury.
9. Good Hormone Secretion: The wheel pose improves the secretion of good hormones in the body for optimal wellbeing. The chakrasana is attributed to hormonal balance that aids in fertility.
10. A Heart-Opening Posture: The wheel pose is a heart-opening yoga asana that heals the broken heart and allows you to embrace love and act from a place of compassion and kindness.
Backbend into the Chakrasana (Wheel Pose) for the greater good of your body and heart.