The Benefits Of Meditation For Stress Management
Meditation has been practiced since ancient times in numerous religious traditions. Although it is not a part of any religion, it is a science which involves definite principles and verified results. It leads to a part of enlightenment and self-realization. It is a great way to letting go of the past and future and helps you in bringing your attention to the present moment.
Numerous scientific studies have proven that meditation is an effective stress management tool. Meditation is not about eliminating stress rather it is about managing it. There can be different ways to control stress but the most effective way is to meditate through it as it can calm your mind and body. Stress has some serious repercussions on our health but meditation will help you in relaxing your body and mind so that your physical and emotional stress can melt away.
Meditation needs a proper time and place, so take your time and enjoy the process of letting go of the tension and stress in your body. When you sit down for meditation, it is mandatory to take some time to sit quietly before beginning with the meditation or some gentle stretching can also help. Basically, you need to set up your meditation posture, close your eyes, and relax. The method involves choosing something to focus your attention on something like a mantra, a word or a phrase or even you could continue to observe your breath without trying to control it. Meditation has many health as well as mental benefits to it, read below to get in details for you to keep going.
Benifits of Meditation
Here are some major physical and mental health benefit of meditation:
- Meditation helps in reducing Stress The high amount of mental and physical stress releases a harmful chemical called Cytokines which leads us to cloudy thinking. Its effects can disrupt sleep, promote depression and anxiety. So, meditation can help you control stress, decrease anxiety and achieve a greater capacity for relaxation.
- It can generate kindness towards people and it may also increase positive feeling and action towards yourself. Through daily practice, people learn to extend this kindness and forgiveness externally.
- It helps in enhancing self-awareness and you will develop a stronger understanding of yourself, helping you grow into your best self. Daily meditation can help you in gaining greater awareness of your ‘self’ and your thoughts.
- Meditation can improve sleep Half the populations struggle with insomnia at some point. Cloudy thoughts and uncontrolled stress could also be a cause of insomnia. So, meditation helps in relaxing your mind by placing you in a peaceful state in which you are more likely to fall asleep.
- It helps fight addiction as a mental discipline can develop through meditation by which you can be able to control your unhealthy cravings and addictions. Meditation will stimulate and train your brain to be happy and naturally high without the need for any addictive substance. Meditation can actually rebuild the brain and affect the way it functions, as well as the way it influences the body.
- Meditation can help lower the blood pressure it can improve physical health by reducing strain on the heart. According to the study, high blood pressure makes the heart work harder to pump blood, which can lead to poor health functions. Daily meditation can manage blood pressure, one may be able to boost defense against heart diseases, stroke, and chronic kidney disease.
- Meditation is widely acclaimed for boosting the immune system The immune system responds to both negative and positive thoughts, meditations create a positive mental environment for the immune system to flourish.
- It controls anxiety by reducing the symptoms of anxiety disorder, panic attack, and paranoid thoughts. Stress, fear, and anxiety trigger the release of stress hormones and cause an imbalance in the brain. A regular meditation practice not only can reduce anxiety symptoms, it also can cure the damage caused by anxiety. It will make your mind to stop jumping around and stay focused on the present.
- Meditation promotes emotional balance The toxic chemicals called Cytokines, which are released in the response to stress can affect mood, leading to depression. Meditation empowers us to have a greater awareness of what we are feeling and to experience our emotion with serenity.
- Uncontrolled stress could also lead to weight gain The high amount of stress pressurizes our mind to release certain types of chemical which can affect our body to gain weight. But meditation helps you lose weight. The concept of meditation can not only lower your stress levels and boost awareness. Having an attentive mind can keep you away from binge eating and emotional eating. Meditation is a naturally healthy and effective way to lose weight and eat healthily.
- Daily meditation can improve your focus, attention, and ability to work under stress Meditation also improves decision making by putting your mind in a peaceful state, where your mind clears and your creativity increases.
- It slows the aging process Through meditation, your concentration level will improve, plus it reduces uncontrolled stress, memory loss and improves your attention span. Also, daily meditation decreases negative emotions to strive towards a happier, and healthier mind. The happier you are the more beautiful you become.
Make meditation a habit, take some time out to calm your senses by maintaining the regular habit of practicing in the same posture at the same time and at the same place. If meditation has a lot to offer, you might wonder why people are not doing it.