7 Incredible Meditation Exercises techniques for Beginners
The science of meditation offers goodness for the body, mind, and soul. From relaxing the physical body to directing the mind towards a peaceful state to awakening the soul to the higher possibilities, meditation is a miraculously transforming discipline to practice.
Still, many of us find a dozen excuses for not delving into the practice of meditation. For some, it’s hard to sit for long durations while others feel helpless in controlling the mental chatter, and various other reasons.
Quoting the famous Helen Hayes “Every expert was once a beginner,” start with the meditation for beginners on a day-to-day basis and gradually evolve into a meditation expert drenched in the meditation bliss.
So, let’s get started with the seven basic meditation exercises that will help you hush the ever racing-mind and assists you in developing a soul that is happier and healthier.
1. Breathing Meditation: As breathing holds much significance in the meditation. It’s better to start your meditation practices with the Buddhist mindful breathing meditation. It is an easy and simple practice where you learn the art of meditation breathing exercises and how to use breath as a point of concentration for meditation practices.
- Make yourself comfortable in Sukhasana (easy pose) in an encouraging meditative environment.
- Start to take a few deep breaths. Slowly, bring your focus on your breathing.
- Notice the patterns of inhalations and exhalations.
- Make an effort to focus on the breath mindfully every time the mind wanders and lead yourself towards a calming and restful nature.
2. Mantra Meditation: The word Mantra comes from the Sanskrit word “man” meaning mind and “tra” meaning protect. Hence, a mantra is the sound that frees the mind from the chatter. In mantra meditation, a sacred sound is repeated silently or aloud and the vibrations of the sound lead to mental purification and spiritual growth.
- Before you sit for the mantra meditation choose a mantra to repeat
- ‘Om’ is a well-known mantra that you can recite during the meditation
- Slowly repeat the mantra. The repetitions result in purification and transformation of the mental patterns.
- When you wish to end the practice, rub the hands and place the charged hands over your face and body for healing.
3. Guided Meditation: If you refrain from meditation practices thinking yourself as a novice who doesn't know the tenets of meditation. Then, my friend, we suggest you adopt the guided meditation practice. In the guided meditation, all that is required is to listen to the guide either in person or through any other means for entering into a state of deep stillness and relaxation.
Carefully follow the instructions of your guide to slip into the meditative state
Firstly, your teacher will ask you to sit and practice some meditation breathing techniques.
Next, your guide leads you through relaxing visualizations.
As you become still in the practice, the stress fades away, and positive changes cultivate.
4.Walking Meditation: Complement your seated meditation practices with walking meditation technique. Walking meditation is one of the grounding and easiest ways to get in touch with the body and of developing serenity and embodied awareness.
- Select a peaceful place like a garden with lush green grass.
- Feel the whole surroundings.
- Bring your attention to the body.
- Now, start walking slowly. Relax and feel each step mindfully.
- As you practice this, you experience being more present at the moment
5. Loving-Kindness Meditation: Loving-Kindness meditation is the practice of fostering positive changes in the attitude and strengthening the capacity for love, kindness, forgiveness, and self-acceptance.
- Loving-Kindness meditation starts with developing a loving acceptance for the self
- Sit with your legs crossed and sense as if you are breathing out tensions and breathing in feelings of love
- Repeat 2-3 reassuring phrases
- Let the feelings of love and compassion envelop you
- Now, envision your dear and near ones and send them the feelings of love and kindness.
6. Present Moment Meditation: The present moment meditation is a beginner friendly meditation technique that helps in overcoming anxiety by connecting you to the present. The aim of this meditation is to calm and alert the mind. And, simultaneously relax the body.
- Focus on your breath
- Broaden the focus to your body sensations and the surroundings.
- Become aware of anything and everything you hear and return back to the breathing.
7. Mindfulness Meditation: Mindfulness meditation is the technique of developing concentration and mindfulness. In the practice, by naturally observing the workings of the mind, you start to experience the awareness.
Pick the meditation for beginners that best fits you. With dedication, tranquilize the mind and transform into an avid meditation practitioner.