5 Incredible Benefits of The Naukasana
There is a reason why yoga is a holistic approach; it is one of the best practices that encompasses all the three known realms that a living being exists in ….which are, the mind (mental functioning involving the brain), the body (the physical form that we inhabit) and the soul (the spiritual entity that resides in the shell). To start the Yogic journey, one must start enacting and performing some Asanas (body postures). These Asanas tend to the three realms in a person by healing and nurturing through different combinations of these postures. What it also does, is that Yoga unravels the rhythm which is the natural essence to your being because it aligns your energies.
One such asana that works on the core area of your body is the Naukasana. The health benefits of performing Naukasana are plenty; it is known to benefit your breathing, circulation of blood, maintaining sugar levels, strengthening the spinal cord area along with strengthening the abdominal organs of the body.
A few things to keep in mind before practice; it is advised that you do not perform the Naukasana if you are experiencing any of the following:
- Do not perform the Naukasana if you have severe headaches, spinal cord disorders, migraines or low blood pressure. Also not advised if you are suffering with any chronic illnesses.
- Avoid performing the Naukasana if you’re pregnant and during the first two days of the menstrual cycle.
- Heart and asthma patients must avoid performing this pose.
Step by step performing Naukasana
Lie on your back with both your feet together and your arms resting near the body. Palms facing to the ground.
Take a deep breath and as you exhale, lift your feet and upper body off the ground stretching your arms towards your feet, leaving your body resting on your hip area.
- The eyes, fingers and toes should be aligned when lifted in the air.
- Now you should feel a certain tension building in your navel area, as the abdominal muscles are contracting.
- Keep breathing deeply and easily while maintaining that pose.
- Hold that position for a few seconds.
- As you exhale, as you come back to the ground slowly.
- Do this for duration of 4-5 sets everyday but do not overdo this pose.
NAUKA (boat) pose as the name suggests resembles a boat, Naukasana literally translates to boat pose. When you sit on the “sit” bones to make the pose, you resemble the alphabet “V”. This pose requires tremendous abdominal strength and great focus on the balance to get this pose right and to reap its varied benefits. It is often included in the flow yoga sequence, as it helps boost energy. Often activating, opening and balancing the Solar Plexus (Manipura chakra).
Here are 5 easy benefits to the Naukasana
1. A great stress reliever-As it is, an asana involving control over breath, it lowers the stress level. The benefits of naukasana are reaped by the nervous and tensed muscles by providing them immediate relief.
2. Good for our digestive and reproductive system- It aids both the upper abdominal organs (pancreas and liver) and the lower abdominal organs (kidney and intestines), thus helps in reducing digestive problems. Helping in the circulation of the blood and oxygen around the abdomen area faster, this pose also enhances the secretion power of the liver and pancreas. For men, it is essentially beneficial because it stimulates the prostate gland which good for the male reproductive system.
3. For increased muscle strength- The pose involves, the stretching of arm and leg muscles and also the lower back, strengthening the muscles in this area. The stretching also alleviates and fixes issues in the spinal cord.
4. Helps in reducing belly fat- As Naukasana directly impacts the abdominal muscles with contraction; it is very good for those who want to reduce obesity. It also reduces belly fat and strengthening the abdominal muscles.
5. Very good for diabetic patient- The health benefits of the Naukasana pose are also reaped by diabetic patients as it essentially works on fixing the sugar levels of the body.
These were a few health benefits of performing the Naukasana pose which is a fairly difficult pose to do. It has its repercussions and is not advised for everyone but the benefits of Naukasana for those who can exercise are plenty. When you do perform this at your home, be alert about all the goodness this pose brings while you are performing it and allow your body to give into the pain so that it receives the goodness as much as you open your body. As we all know yoga is a journey and like all journeys, it demands a certain level of focus and concentration, and the results are worth it. Do your yoga every day !